Type Here to Get Search Results !

NLP Well-Formed Outcome Model - 9 Goal Setting Principles

How to re-think about goal setting, design outcomes and achieve great results in Business, Relationships and Personal life?


The Well-Formed Outcome Model is a framework for setting and achieving goals that was developed by NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) practitioners. The model is based on the idea that setting well-formed goals is essential to achieving them. 


  1. State the goal in positive terms. This principle encourages individuals to focus on what they want to achieve, rather than what they don't want. This means describing the goal in a way that is clear, specific, and positive.

  2. Specify the goal in Sensory Based Terms. This principle encourages individuals to use all of their senses when describing their goal. This can help to make the goal more vivid and real, and can also help to engage more of the brain and nervous system in the process of achieving the goal.

  3. Specify the goal in a way that you find compelling. This principle encourages individuals to make their goal something that they find truly compelling, something that truly motivates them to work towards it.

  4. Run a Quality Control check on your Goal to make sure it is for you in all areas of your life. This principle encourages individuals to consider how their goal will fit into their overall life, and to ensure that it is appropriate and achievable in all areas of their life.

  5. Self-initiated and maintained. This principle encourages individuals to make sure that their goal is something that they can initiate and maintain themselves, rather than something that relies on other people.

  6. State the Context of the goal. This principle encourages individuals to consider the context in which their goal will be achieved, such as where, when, with whom, etc.

  7. State the Resources needed to achieve the goal. This principle encourages individuals to consider the resources they will need to achieve their goal, such as knowledge, skills, and support.

  8. Solutions to Setbacks. The principle of Solutions to Setbacks refers to the idea that when working towards a goal, it's important to have a plan in place for addressing and overcoming any obstacles or challenges that may arise. This includes identifying potential setbacks and developing strategies for addressing them in advance, as well as being resilient and adaptable in the face of unexpected challenges.

  9. Evidence Procedure. This principle encourages individuals to consider how they will know when they have achieved their goal, and what evidence will be needed to demonstrate that the goal has been achieved.


Questions for Well-Formed Outcomes and Goal Settings:


Positively Stated:

  • What is my desired future goal?
  • How does it compare to my current situation?
  • How can I state my goal in a positive way?
  • What am I moving towards?

Sensory-Based:

  • How will I experience my goal through my senses?
  • Have I broken down my goal into manageable chunks?
  • How can I engage all of my senses in the goal-setting process?

Compelling:

  • Is my goal compelling?
  • Does it pull me towards it?
  • How can I make my goal a compelling representation of my future?

Quality Control:

  • Is my goal appropriate for all aspects of my life?
  • What will I gain and lose by achieving my goal?
  • Is my goal achievable and does it respect my health and relationships?
  • Do any parts of me object to actualizing this goal?

Self-Initiated and Maintained:

  • Is my goal something I can initiate and maintain on my own?
  • Is it within my control?
  • How can I ensure that my goal reflects things that I can directly affect?

Contextualized:

  • Where, when, how, and with whom will I achieve my goal?
  • How can I adjust my goal to make sure it is fitting and appropriate?

Resources:
  • What resources will I need to achieve my goal?
  • Who will I have to become?
  • Who else has achieved this goal?
  • What prevents me from moving towards it and attaining it now?
Solutions to Setbacks:
  • What potential obstacles or challenges might I face in achieving this goal?
  • How can I mitigate or prevent these challenges from occurring?
  • What resources (e.g. support systems, knowledge, skills) do I have available to help me overcome obstacles?
  • How can I stay motivated and focused when faced with setbacks?
  • What is my plan for addressing and overcoming any challenges that may arise?
  • How can I learn from any setbacks that occur and use that knowledge to improve my goal-attainment strategies in the future?
  • How can I adapt and adjust my goal or plan to better suit my needs and resources when faced with setbacks?


  1. Evidence Procedure:

  • How will I know when my goal has been realized?
  • What will be the evidence that I have attained my desired state?


Example of using the Well-Formed Outcome Model

An example of using the Well-Formed Outcome Model could be an individual who wants to start a small business. They would apply the principles of the model as follows:

  1. State the goal in positive terms: "I want to successfully start and run my own small business."

  2. Specify the goal in Sensory Based Terms: "I see myself running a small business, I hear the sound of my customers happy and satisfied, I feel the sense of accomplishment and pride of owning my own business."

  3. Specify the goal in a way that you find compelling: "The idea of being my own boss and having control over my income is incredibly motivating to me."

  4. Run a Quality Control check on your Goal to make sure it is for you in all areas of your life: "I have considered how starting a small business will fit into my overall life, and I am confident that it is something I am willing and able to do."

  5. Self-initiated and maintained: "I am capable of initiating and maintaining the process of starting a small business on my own."

  6. State the Context of the goal: "I plan to start my small business within the next 6 months and I will do it in my hometown."

  7. State the Resources needed to achieve the goal: "I will need to research the market and gather information about what type of business I want to start, and I will need to acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to run a small business."

  8. State Solutions to Setbacks: "I will generate a list of solutions and test which one works best."

  9. Evidence Procedure: "I will know I have achieved my goal when..."




Top Post Ad

Below Post Ad

Hollywood Movies